Tournament of Champions
Mark your calendars for April 6, 2013!!
The OAAC Tournament of Champions is at Redlands Community College on Saturday, April 6. There are many events occuring in the spring. If your students have a scheduling conflict with April 6, have qualified to take two tests during the same hour or are testing as a TOC Scholar Friday night testing is available. Date/test conflict and TOC Scholar testing begins at 4:00 on Friday afternoon, April 5.
To qualify for participation in the Tournament of Champions a student must:
1. Be in sixth, seventh or eighth grade.
2. Place first, second or third on a curricular or scholastic test ( see TOCQ) in language arts, humanities, math, science, current events, reading or social studies (2012-2013 school year). If the qualifying tournament is still giving tests in English and reading - both the English 1-3 and reading 1-3 will qualify for the language arts test.
3. The competition where the placing occurred should have including ten or more participating schools. There are some exceptions to this stipulation. If you have questions, contact email@example.com
4. Students placing first, second or third as individuals in MATHCOUNTS Regional and the top five individuals from the State MATHCOUNTS competition qualify to take the math test.
5. Students qualifying for the state Geography Bee qualify to take the social studies test.
6. Students placing 1-3 at the state level OSSM mathematics competition qualify to take the mathematics test.
First, second and third place in each subject and for each grade level will receive a trophy. All ties will be awarded the same placing. All participants will receive a certificate of achievement.
Awards will be presented as soon as the results for the last tests are tabulated. The presentation should begin between 2:15 and 2:30.
The first set of results will post around 12:30. All students will be listed in ranking order except for the top 3 places. Those students will be listed in alphabetical order at the bottom of the ranking list.
A TOC Scholar trophy will be given for each grade level, 6, 7 & 8. The TOC Scholar will be the student with the highest point total from all six TOC tests.
To be eligible to test the TOC Scholar award a student must qualify in 4 individual tests. The student must be able to take at least two tests on Friday night and four tests on Saturday.
All students competing for the TOC Scholar award will take their tests in the same order: mathematics, language arts, science, social studies, current events, humanities. If a student has a conflict with another event on Saturday they may take all 6 tests on Friday night, but must do so between 4:00 and 8:00. Students able to be at the tournament both Friday and Saturday may take either 2 tests on Friday night and 4 on Saturday or 3 tests on Friday night and 3 on Saturday.
All questions about the TOC should be directed to Gail Bliss 580-654-1852, The Tournament of Champions is the State Middle Level Curricular (scholastic) Championship.
2012-13 Humanities focus period
The Gothic Era into Early Renaissance
Art ~ Gothic
Music ~ polyphonic music, plainsong
Philosophy ~ Scholasticism
Literature ~ Aesops Fables Marco Polo, Dante, Chaucer
(Aesop was earlier - but will be included in this focus period)